« All Events
BookFest Demo: Pamphlet Stitch Books
July 11, 2020 - September 7, 2020
To celebrate Summer of BookFest, we’re hosting free, family friendly demos in bookmaking, printmaking & more! Play along with materials from home, or visit our online Shop for demo artmaking kits.
Sketchbooks, journals, diaries, story books…all handmade! Learn how to create a hand-stitched book with papers from around your house! Pamphlet stitch is a simple one-signature (one folded grouping) binding of pages, and is a perfect foray into the world of handmade books. In this tutorial, we’re using recycled posters, materials & tools from our Pamphlet Stitch Bookbinding Kit, available in our online Shop.
MATERIALS YOU’LL NEED:
• ~10 sheets of regular 8.5″ x 11″ computer paper per book. You can experiment with paper size to create different size journals!
• 1 8.5″ x 11-11.5″ sheet of cardstock/thicker paper for the cover
• Bonefolder, or another folding tool like a straightedge or your fingers!
• A few paper clips or binder clips
• Ruler, optional
• Pencil or writing utencil
• Embroidery floss, or other type of strong thread, cut to 3Xs the length of your book’s spine, or folded edge. Example: an 8.5″ tall book would need an approx. 25.5″ length of thread.
• Awl, or suitable substitute to poke binding holes, like a thumbtack
MODIFICATIONS & EXTRA TID BITS:
• This project is suitable for ages 8+. For very young bookmakers, consider modifications to make it easier for little hands, like making bigger binding holes with a hole punch, and using larger yarn (without a needle) for the thread!
• Bookbinders typically use thread that has been waxed to allow for the thread to more easily glide through the punched holes in the paper. If you want to try using waxed thread, try running your thread across a candle (beeswax works great!). You’ll know your thread is waxed enough when it is smooth and almost sticky to the touch.
• While this tutorial shows pamphlet stitch with 3 binding holes, these books can be made with any odd number of holes! After completing this 3-hole stitch, consider challenging yourself to try 5 or 7 hole pamphlet stich!
WATCH THE PAMPHLET STITCH BOOKBINDING DEMO!
Need help? Message us!
We’d love to see your handmade books!
Be sure to tag us 🙂
Pamphlet Stitch Bookmaking Kit – makes 3 books!
All the materials to create 3 hand-bound books! Explore more in our online Shop.