Plan Your Visit
Ready to Visit? Here’s what you need to know:
Book Arts is open Wednesdays and Saturdays in careful compliance with all NYS Forward guidelines, and we need your help to ensure our space stays safe for all members of our community!
- Pre-registration ahead of your visit using the form below is encouraged if you wish to be guaranteed a spot. Per NYS guidelines our capacity is limited to just 10 people (including staff) so spots can fill up quickly. If we are at capacity when you arrive we’ll ask you to kindly come back later.
- Reservations are available for 1-hour time slots to ensure everyone has a chance to visit.
- All guests will be required to wear a face mask that covers both your nose and mouth for the duration of your visit, in accordance with NYS mandates. If you forget your mask at home, we will provide you with a paper mask. Children under 2 are not required to wear a mask.
- If you are unable to wear a mask due to a medical condition, please let us know in advance by emailing [email protected]
- Hand sanitizer will be made available throughout our facility, notably at our check-in table, point of sale, and entrance & exit.
- Guests are asked to observe all posted signs and distancing markers throughout our facility for the duration of your visit.
- Finally, please be patient with our dedicated Book Arts Team Members as we all learn to navigate this new normal. ♥
We will be making frequent changes to our operating hours and procedures, so be sure to subscribe to our email list, follow us on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter, or email us at [email protected] for the most up-to-date information. Thank you so much for your support!
Interested in Planing a Field Trip?
Please email our Education Director, Rosemary Williams, at [email protected] for information on virtual and small-group options.
Thank you to our funders who have helped support our PPE and cleaning supply needs:
Golden & Goldman Philanthropic Fund
Erie County Department of Emergency Services
What do you do at the Western New York Book Arts Center?
At Book Arts, we seek to preserve, promote, and innovate the book arts. We host a variety of audiences including working artists, group workshops, field trips, and team building events. Our Book Arts Shop features the work of more than 100 artists available for sale to support their craft. In the Book Arts Gallery, you’ll find a series of rotating exhibitions showcasing a variety of artists. Check out our About Us page to learn more!
What are the book arts?
When we’re talking about book arts, we are referring to the creative and craft disciplines used to produce the structural elements of a book, such as printmaking, papermaking, calligraphy, origami, and bookbinding. Check out our History of book arts: an artform to learn more!
Does Book Arts sell / buy / repair / write / publish books?
This is a common misconception, but we do not! However, we would love to share our list of referrals for other community vendors that can help with each of these book-related tasks.
Does Book Arts take donations of books, paper, printing equipment, etc?
The short answer? Sometimes, but we would greatly appreciate an email with photos attached before you go through the hard work of hauling anything over. We are always grateful for the offer, but we have a limited amount of space to store books in our library or machinery that may be in need of repair. Please email [email protected] for more information on material donations.
Is there a schedule of Book Arts workshops and upcoming events?
I am an educator, can I bring my class to Book Arts for a field trip?
Yes, we love field trips! We regularly host groups of a variety of ages and class sizes. Please visit our School Programs page to learn more.
Where is Book Arts located, and where should I park?
We are located at 468 Washington Street, Buffalo, NY 14203, at the corner of Mohawk & Washington streets. We are near the Central Library, the historic Hotel Lafayette, next door to Casa di Pizza, and across the street from the fabulous Sinclair building.
There is street parking available that can be paid using cash, credit card, or the convenient Buffalo Roam app when required. Street parking is free after 5 PM and on Saturday and Sunday. There are also several AllPro Parking surface lots, and the Mohawk parking ramp, all located within one block of Book Arts that can be paid using cash or credit card.
If you are arriving with a group on a school bus or other large vehicle, we encourage you to temporarily park on the East side of the building at Washington Street, and use our side door for easy unloading.
How long has Book Arts been here, and what was this building before it became Book Arts?
We have been at 468 Washington Street since 2008. The building was vacant for a while, but in its glory days it was home to 4 different storefronts, including the luxurious Slotkins department store.
How do I sell my goods in the Book Arts Shop?
The Book Arts Shop showcases a collection of handmade gift items by local printmakers and book artists. Please check out our Consignment page to inquire about placing your work in our Shop!
How do I have an exhibition in the Book Arts Gallery?
Visit our Exhibitor page to find out more!